I think Bauerlein's statements apply to many teens, but certainly not to the entire generation. I agree that the advanced technology and tools available to us today should be utilized in ways other then instant messaging in order to enhance our education, but this practice is something that we must adapt to with time. Bauerlein's reasons are descriptions of the worst situation. I also think that they are a generalization. Just because teens do not use proper punctuation while instant messaging does not mean that they do not know how to spell. Even though technology can be a great distraction, today's generation consists of some of the brightest students. The Newsweek article mentions that IQ scores have been rising every year since the 1930s in all countries that measure them.
I agree with the Newsweek article's statement that it is not necessarily that our generation is not intelligent, but rather, that we do not take full advantage of our educational opportunities. It is true that if teens were questioned about many historical facts or well-known writers, many of us will not be able to answer. However, because it is not our intellect that is lacking, our generation has a lot of potential. Hopefully in the future, educators and students will learn to use the technology available to benefit their education, but as of now, I do not think it is fair to say that we are the "dumbest generation."
Sunday, September 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I like the approach you took in stating your stance. You took specific examples from the articles and had a counter argument to prove your point. Instead of picking a side, that we are the dumbest generation or we aren't, you were a little more in the middle. You admitted that some people don't live up to their full potential, but not everyone falls into that category. Everything you said was well stated, clear and concise.
i agree with what you said, you did a good job supporting your statement. The IQ scores help to prove your point. You said that some people do not use technology for the right purpose, but that doesn't mean that everyone doesn't...showing that Bauerlein's information is generalizing everyone because a few people are "dumb" in their use of technology.
Post a Comment